Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog is a small yorkie. has just lost the hair off of s

Customer Question

my dog is a small yorkie. has just lost the hair off of his tail and patches near there. scratching until he yelps
. His ears smell so bad I cant hardly stand it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

It sounds like you're dealing with skin allergies. It could also be fleas, so that should be ruled out. If she's not on a monthly flea preventative, then she should be on something.

If it's allergies, then you need something to calm them down. I usually go with a combination of a steroid (Prednisone) + an antibiotic if the skin looks infected. It does sound like there is also a secondary skin infection. You will have to go to a vet for these meds after an exam.

For the itching. you can use an over the counter anti-histamine. Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is the most commonly used. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.