Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a Chihuahua he is about 10 11 years old and he has

Customer Question

Hi I have a Chihuahua he is about 10 11 years old and he has congested heart failure is there something can be done besides putting him down?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What treatments have he been on so far?

How long ago was he diagnosed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He isn't on any treatment .he hasn't been to a vet yet but I had to put down his dad and the vet said that's what he had and now R2 is doing the same thing can u please help I just can't put him down
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if R2 has been diagnosed with the same, there are treatments that can be used. So putting him to sleep is not the only option. Instead, if you have not already, it'd be ideal to have your vet listen to and xray his heart. This will help them confirm heart disease, determine how severe it is, and assess whether there is fluid in the lungs. Otherwise, depending on those findings, your vet will be able to start R2 on medication to help the heart beat more efficiently (ie Pimobendin, Enalapril). Furthermore, if he is showing breathing changes or has fluid in his lungs on xray, they can start him on Lasix to help relieve that too. And I would note that with the right combination of these for our dogs with heart disesae, we can often help them live comfortably for months to years. So, if you haven't started any treatment, that would be the highly advisable next step. That way you can help his struggling heart while keeping him comfortable.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can see that it's hard for him to breath and he coughs and forms come up but there are time when he's fine and wants to play so do u think he will be ok until tomorrow. I could take him tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Are his gums pink just now?

Do you think he is breathing faster then 30 breaths in a minute?

Can he settle at all?