Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog had bloody watery stool and is now at the vets

Customer Question

My dog had bloody watery stool and is now at the vets overnight they are not sure what it is but think it may be bacterial viral but it looked pretty severe
I am just wondering on second opinion or what it could be , she looks so sick and it was fast
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vomited at 1 am yesterday it was her dinner from 8 pm then fine until 7 am then vomit dry heave and the poop started not bloody just loose fine until 11 am then pooping ever few minutes and then it got really bloody and watery and we were already at the vets office by then I think it was 1230 pm they kept her I am just really concerned the last bit was very dark and bright red bloody water
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.

I am very sorry to hear about Bella having bloody, watery stools and vomiting yesterday.
Of course anyone would be concerned about blood in the stool. The fresher it appears the closer the source is to her rectum.
The important factor in all of this is how Bella is feeling otherwise. If she feels great otherwise and is active, bright and alert then those are good signs.
There is a condition in dogs called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. These dogs have profuse dark, jelly-clot like, bloody diarrhea. They are very sick dogs and get dehydrated quickly so they need immediate care. Thus if she seemed lethargic and/or continues vomiting that would be a likely possibility and care at an emergency veterinary clinic is best.
But bloody diarrhea is usually due to colitis, or inflammation of the large intestine, which can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, a bacterial (salmonella) or viral (Parvo virus or Corona virus) infection, inflammatory bowel disease or even a mass in the colon. Exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides is another possibility.

Do you know of anything that she may have gotten into?

I understand that you are concerned, but she is in the best possible place getting the supportive care she needs. In most cases as long as this isn't related to a large quantity of an anticoagulant toxicity they do well with supportive care of fluids and antibiotics.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara