How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Joey Your Own Question
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4719
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Joey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a GSD who has cartilage cancer in the rib area. 3

Customer Question

Hi I have a GSD who has cartilage cancer in the rib area. 3 ribs and have been removed surgically and the growth just behind the left front limb. Surgery was a week ago. Bandage is replaced frequently by my local vet. Vet that did the operation is not available for two weeks.The wound is oozing badly and part of the skin has become black, she might need another operation to remove this. My question is she has been given Ranclav 625, is this the best type of antibiotic for this? Or must she be given another antibiotic with this one, or something different.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

You questioning the antibiotic choice is an absolutely excellent first step. I too would be questioning if this has developed a profound secondary infection that is resistant to our current therapy. The best approach would be for your veterinarian to submit a sample of the discharge to the lab as soon as possible for culture & sensitivity. While awaiting this your veterinarian can look at a sample of the debris in-house under the microscope to see if there is obvious bacteria, and if so what shape is present. Then based on this change to a different antibiotic or add a different one in to get a broader spectrum. I would b inclined to recommend use a different category of antibiotic.

There is a chance this is not bacterial related and instead cancer related in that this is an aggressive cancers which was incompletely removed and therefore causing issues with healing. I think the chances of this is lower than simply have development of a resistant bacterial infection, but possible. The only to know this is to get back the histopathology results (the mass should have been submitted to the lab to know what type of tumor exactly the is and if all of it was removed).

If the level of necrotic (dead) tissue is severe, then a second surgery may be needed in the future. But first we would like to get this area healthier before we go in surgically.

I hope that was helpful. Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.