Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

This is friend: Her 9 1/2 year old golden retriever just

Customer Question

This is for my friend: Her 9 1/2 year old golden retriever just found out that she is anemic. she was on remedyl but is no longer on it. Her blood work was taken because she was having "episodes" where she was zoned out and then she would be her normal
self. In Feb 2015 she had her spleen removed due to a bleed out. They got the awful news that it was the worse case cancer, but had not spread to any other organs. She was giving 90 days to live. She is well past 180 days. She is eating, drinking and her normal
self besides these "episodes" that the vet is thinking is due to anemia. Is there anything we can do to supplement her? (by the way Also her thyroid test came back low ,,,but our vet is waiting for the 2nd part to come in to the office tomorrow, but he feels
that it won't make a difference re: her thyroid?) (Also for the first time in all these years vet said she had a slight murmur which she never had prior? Could all of this be related)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

The heart murmur can be related to the anemia, if the anemia is severe. It is important to figure out why she is anemic at this point - is she having blood loss somewhere (abdomen, digestive tract, etc) or is her body just not making new red blood cells (bone marrow affected) which would signal metastasis of cancer. IF not already done submitted the blood to the lab for a reticulocyte count and pathologist review of the CBC may help determine which of these is going on. IF she has good regeneration of RBCs then this may indicate loss somewhere that we need to find, and then finding that will improve her overall.

To your question, yes, you can supplement her with an iron supplement. But this is not as simple as sending you to the store to pick up a people supplement because dogs do not absorb all iron supplements equally. I recommend you get this from your veterinarian. (S)He was the type of iron that can help. This will probably not miraculously resolve her anemia but it can help her if her body decides it actually wants to make new RBCs. As well, if she is very low (PCV=20s or less) then a transfusion may be indicated to help her.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jc,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey