Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Why would my 8 year old miniture yorkie suddenly become

Customer Question

Why would my 8 year old miniture yorkie suddenly become lethargic and back is humped?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Did she get into anything?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's happened twice...no preexisting medical. She's fine then it happens. She was fine the last time after about 2 hours. We gave her some dark Karo syrup.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when a dog is having episodes of arching or a humped back this is a sign of either abdominal or back pain. The fact that this is happening intermittently and she is lethargic I am inclined to believe this could be back pain. A very common cause is a pinched nerve as a result of a bulging disc. In this case, if you have access to ER veterinarian I would have her checked tonight. You see, the sooner we start treatment if this is related to a pinched nerve the better the prognosis and response to therapy.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!