Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog had heat exaution yesterday and we got her temp down

Customer Question

my dog had heat exaution yesterday and we got her temp down to 103 and gave her gatorade little at a time. Today she was drinking a little at a time every 15 min. and now she is running a temp of 104.5 again what should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I am a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry that Jazz isn't feeling well - I know that it can be scary when they are sick and you aren't sure what's going on.

A temp of 104.5 is pretty high for a dog - high enough that I'd feel better if she could be examined in person by a vet. Usually with heat exhaustion, once you bring their temp down, they don't go back up unless they get back out in the heat. I'm concerned that something else might be going on and causing that fever.

Some cooling measures that you can try at home would be applying alcohol to her paw pads, using fans to move air around her, and doing a luke warm bath. It's important that the bath isn't COLD, as cold water will cause the blood vessels in her skin to constrict, thus shunting blood back into her internal compartment and exacerbating the rise in core body temp. I caution you, though, that if this fever is due to something else like an infection, bringing it down may not be all that helpful until we find out what is causing it.

If it's at all possible to have her seen by a vet, I'd definitely go that route.

Please let me know if you have any other questions :)

~Dr. Sara