Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My maltese is not acting like s normal self

Customer Question

my maltese is not acting like his normal self
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed vet who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Rascal isn't feeling well. I know that it can be scary when we don't know exactly what's going on. I'd like to get more information from you in order to give you the most complete answer.

• What was the first thing that you saw Rascal do that was abnormal, and when was that?
  • How is his appetite and thirst level? Is he drinking OK?
  • Any vomiting or diarrhea?
  • Any possibility that he got into or ate anything out of the ordinary in the last couple of days?
  • What color are his gums - they should be nice and bubble gum pink
  • Are his gums moist or dry?
  • Has he ever had any other health problems before?
  • Is he currently taking any type of medication?

Thanks and I await your response :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was fine this morning and now he is just lying down not moving. I checked his gums and his month seems to be dry there pink. He was neuter 10 days ago. He was fine. I don't think he ate anything but he not his normal self.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the extra information. Unfortunately what you are describing is very vague and not specifically indicative of any one disease. If he's really out of it, I would definitely consider getting him to a veterinary ER, especially if you're seeing a progressive worsening over the day. I'm glad that his gums are pink - this indicates that he's not anemic or in shock. Dry gums does indicate some dehydration. It's unlikely that it's related to his recent surgery, however things like surgery infections or complications can pop up after surgery.

I'm sorry, but with a description of symptoms that vague, it's going to be very very difficult to sort out the problem over the internet.

Please let me know if you have any other specific questions for me :)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jeanette,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rascal. How is everything going?
Doc Sara