Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My puppy who is fighting off pneumonia has been doing a

Customer Question

My puppy who is fighting off pneumonia has been doing a weird thing where he sort of breathes back and forth quickly and bobs his head. I took video if there is any way I can share. Is this a reason to be alarmed?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like he is still working pretty hard to breathe. Increased respiratory effort can cause that bobbing of the head to breathe. As the pneumonia resolves, those signs should also start to go away.

I like to nebulize and coupage my pneumonia dogs. You can use a pediatric nebulizer, or just run a hot shower and let the puppy breathe the steam. I then cup my hands and strike the sides of the chest. Coupaging will help break up some of the congestion in the lungs so he can cough it out.

You can post the video here as an attachment. You could also upload it online and post the link here.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the video:http://youtu.be/dhNGMSQgE7Y We do try to do coupage and use our humidifier with him- as well as place him in bathroom with shower.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

It's not letting me open the video. I'm glad you're nebulizing/ coupaging. That's good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you maybe guide me on how long each coupage session should be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Try now http://youtu.be/dhNGMSQgE7Y
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

That actually looks like he's reverse sneezing. That can happen secondary to some inflammation in the back of the throat. It looks more like that, than labored breathing.

I usually nebulize/ coupage for 10-15 minutes and I'll do it 4-6 times daily if possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it normal for that happen while fighting pneumonia? He's been fighting it for a couple weeks now. He was actually hospitalized for 4 nights in the beginning and has been slowly improving since. We have a vet check up tomorrow but I'm just worried
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

It's not a common sign after pneumonia, no. It's something we typically see with allergies or just something that happens off and on in small breed dogs. There's not typically a connection with pneumonia, though.

I think the check up tomorrow is a good idea. I wouldn't be too worried, though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything we can do to help him when this happens? Or to prevent it from happening ?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes you can rub the base of the ear. The pressure on the Eustachian tubes can sometimes stop these episodes.