Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My Neuf has an occasional hacking cough (usually coughs 3x

Customer Question

My Neuf has an occasional hacking cough (usually coughs 3x and stops) that has lasted two days....now my younger Neuf started the same cough ! Will it pass by itself or time to get them to their vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Bella's cough. I'm sorry she's having this problem and that it appears to spreading to your pup, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

(typing more...)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I hope to offer you the peace of mind of knowing that the vast majority of cases of "kennel cough" don't require treatment and go away on their own after about 2 weeks.

That being said, there is unfortunately no way for me to know if this is "kennel cough" or not. That would certainly fit, but there are other possibilities as well like parasitic problems, fungal problems, bacterial pneumonia, mycoplasma infections, heart disease, and more.

But, the MOST COMMON thing to cause mild episodes of a hacking cough in an otherwise happy and healthy dog who is eating and drinking normally and otherwise carrying on in a normal fashion is indeed kennel cough, which WILL usually pass on its own without treatment.

Sorry to be vague, but I feel it's important to be complete, accurate, and honest in answering you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

So if you're feeling particularly conservative and your dogs are acting otherwise completely normal, it would not be at all unreasonable to give this some more time to see if it will go away on its own.

Does this help to answer your question?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dogs are otherwise their normal selves. Thank you for all your concern and assistance. Stay well.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Good to know things are otherwise normal. This would make me a lot more secure in a decision to wait it out.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with, and please do take a moment to ACCEPT and rate my response.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going for Bella and your younger pup.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just one final check to ask if things are going any better for Bella and your pup. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you be satisfied with my answer.

Thank you.