Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My toy poodle turned blind suddenly 5 weeks ago from

Customer Question

My toy poodle turned blind suddenly 5 weeks ago from diabetes. Since then I have been trying to bring down her glucose, prior to a cataract op I hope. But last night I noticed brown circles round her eyes, and the vet said it is probably glaucoma, and mt rule out cataract removal surgery. I shall consult a vet opthalmologist
Thursday. Yr view, pl?
Rgds
Arnold
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I'm here to help you with your question about Bibi. I'm so sorry she's having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I'm also really relieved to hear she is receiving such excellent veterinary care.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

(typing more...)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, your experience with Bibi is not uncommon. Diabetic dogs frequently develop cataracts. This can happen very quickly resulting in blindness nearly overnight. Cataract surgery done in a timely manner is the only hope for restoring vision for these dogs.

Additionally, glaucoma is a common complication following development of diabetic cataracts. In order to have any hope of saving Bibi's vision, it would be best to get her in the care of a veterinary ophthalmologist absolutely as soon as possible. The sad truth is that if glaucoma damages her retinas, cataract surgery would be a complete waste of time and money because it would not restore her vision.

I know all of this must be terribly devastating to hear. I'm so sorry, and I wish I had better news for you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

So... in summary ... my take on this is to agree with your vet's assessment and I would want to get Bibi in the care of an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. Glaucoma is an emergency. I'm worried that waiting until Thursday may even be too long. If your local vet is capable of measuring eye pressure (to diagnose glaucoma) and starting treatment, that would be the best plan.

Does this help to answer your question?

I want to be as helpful as possible, especially since you're in such a difficult situation.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm just checking in to ask how things are going with Bibi.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just one final check to ask how things are going with Bibi. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thank you.