Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My one year old American bulldog mix has a rash on the upper

Customer Question

My one year old American bulldog mix has a rash on the upper inside of his front paw. It's red, and he continues to lick it. It just came up today after he was playing with our neighbors dog. He is white with brindle patches so its visible to see easily.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog's skin rash. I'm sorry he's having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

(typing more...)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

This type of skin rash on a 2-year-old bulldog mix, and - you're right! - they can be driven to lick at something like this incessantly!

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

The most common causes of this type of skin rash include the following:

• bacterial skin infections (including Staph. and MRSA)
  • allergic reactions
  • stings and bug bites
  • fungal infections
  • parasitic problems (mites)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

All of these different types of problems can come up suddenly for no apparent reason, and they all can look alike. That means your best bet for getting him on the right course of treatment as soon as possible would be to have him seen by your veterinarian and have the necessary diagnostic tests done.

If you would prefer to wait it out to see if it's getting better on it's own, the only form of home treatment that's appropriate is to wash it thoroughly with antibacterial soap. Let the suds soak for ten full minutes, then rinse. Then gently pat dry. Be sure to wear gloves yourself and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

Does this help to answer your question?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I will do that again, and try the vet if it doesn't clear or spreads.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm so happy I could help. Please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and give me a rating so I may receive credit for helping you.

Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with your bulldog and his rash.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melissa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Melissa Whitaker. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just one final check to ask how your bulldog is doing. Is he on the mend?

Thank you.