Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 9 month old cavalier ate a 200mg advil yesterday....my

Customer Question

my 9 month old cavalier ate a 200mg advil yesterday....my maid just told me.... she is vomitting today...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Ibuprofen is very toxic to a dog's kidneys, plus it can cause a lot of gastrointestinal irritation, including ulcerations. I would highly recommend getting her to your vet's office today to get some blood work ran, start on intravenous fluid therapy and start on medications to protect her stomach. Hopefully, the stomach upset is the only issue that will come out of this, but it could be 3-5 days before any signs of kidney problems start. You want to really be proactive when it comes to treating for these type of toxicities. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.