Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is a pit boxer and she is 13 years old, she thinks

Customer Question

My dog is a pit boxer and she is 13 years old, she thinks she is hunger all the time. In the evening she is pacing the floor for hours, my vet said she is losing her mind, what to do, meds or food change, thanks so much karen
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Paige is having some senior issues. First, I want to ensure that metabolic causes of her increased hunger has been ruled out. Has your vet run basic bloodwork to ensure there are no possibilities of Cushing's disease (CLICK HERE)?

There are treatments for senior cognitive changes that can help in supplement form but also in some situations medications as well.

1.) Melatonin can help with barking or increased movement at night

2.) Proneurozone which is a supplement for brain function that can help with mental clarify in senior pets. It is available through your veterinarian but also on-line at stores like amazon.com

3.) Fish oil is essential for brain function and used at higher doses to help cognitive function. For example, for his size 1000 mg EPA & DHA daily. This can be a human formula

4.) Anipryl which is a medication used for cognitive function if the above options are not helping

5.) Alprazolam (xanax) which you are already using for episodes of anxiety not controlled by conventional methods. Not intended for daily use but is effective as needed (in the diazepam or valium family)

These are all methods that your veterinarian would have available to you to assist with some of the cognitive issues and some that you should be able to purchase at a local vitamin store or on-line

I hope the above options are helpful to you but if I can assist with clarifying anything or guiding any further questions you might have please don't hesitate to ask.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!