Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our little dog, she part toy poodle and something else, we

Customer Question

Our little dog, she part toy poodle and something else, we don't know. She was dumbed at our house a year ago. Anyway she has this cough, it's more like hacking, she eats and drinks then she starts hacking, sometimes she throws up. What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear that your Daisy is having this cough. There are many causes of a cough ranging from kennel cough similar to a cold in people related to exposure at a kennel, day care, grooming facility and can take 5-14 days to show signs to heart disease or a tracheal issue

I can give you some basic guidelines to treat the cough but if it is not improving then I would advise a veterinary to rule out the more serious causes of a cough in a little dog as Daisy

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant
2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs
3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation
4.) Elevate the food and water bowls to chest level so she doesn't have to bend down to eat/ drink and feed smaller meals if possible throughout the day versus just a few.

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! If the cough continues to be productive, there is lethargic or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!