Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I discovered a cheat grass seed embedded in my dogs foot

Customer Question

I discovered a cheat grass seed embedded in my dogs foot last night. She had been licking her paw all day according to my husband, and the seed was almost completely embedded between pads on her paw. It had a little puss-y discharge, and I'm wondering if she needs antibiotics.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. If there is swelling, redness and pus around the area, then oral antibiotics would be highly recommended in order to properly get rid of the infection. I am assuming that the seed has been removed, correct? If no, then I would have your vet remove it and clean up the area with an antiseptic. If necessary, they may need to bandage the paw to keep other debris from getting into the wound and allow it to heal. In all likelihood, they will prescribe oral antibiotics from there. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Dr. John