Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My bulldog been vomitting two and half days know, its' been

Customer Question

my bulldog been vomitting two and half days know, its' been his food, but he hasnt' eaten his reg amount of food
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He keep water down, it's food he's eaten that's coming back up, he vomit the yellow gatorade back up some also, haven't notice any diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that Redd can keep at least water down. The reason is because if they cannot that is usually a red flag that those dogs may need injectable anti-vomiting treatment from their vets before we make progress with home treatment. If that is not an issue, then we can consider causes for his signs and some supportive care to try to settle them for him. Now as I am sure you can appreciate, nausea and vomiting in the young dog can be triggered by a range of reasons. At has age, the most common are dietary indiscretions, bacterial gastroenteritis,pancreatitis, viral infections, toxins, and foreign bodies ingestions.

With all this in mind, your first step here would be to rest his stomach if he is actively vomiting. We'd want to give his stomach a break for 6-8 hours after the last vomit. Let him have access to water,but not huge volumes since overdoing it with the water can cause vomiting as well. Once he is more settled, we can then try to settle his stomach with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

We tend to give these 30 minutes before offering food to give it time to be absorbed.

Once that is on board, we can then tempt him with a small volume (a tablespoon worth to start) of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). Now if he can keep the small amount,he can have a bit more after 30 minutes.And as he keeps it down, he can have a bit more and so on. The aim of these light diets is that they are easy on the compromised GI and tend to be better tolerated.

As well, do keep an eye on his water intake as profuse vomiting can quickly dehydrate a dog (and dehydration will make them feel worse and complicate their situation). Furthermore, it'd be ideal to assess a hydration status at this stage. To check this and make sure he is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this ([email protected]://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html) If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be a red flag to have Redd seen urgently by the vet before this gets any further out of control. And if his hydration is adequate just now but you are concerned that he is becoming dehydrated, you can try to encourage him to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. You can use a bit of Gatorade but it tends to be too oddly flavored for dogs to tolerate.

Overall, when our dogs show GI signs of this nature there can be a range of potential causes. Therefore, consider resting his stomach and then try the above. If you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours (we don't want to let it go too long) or he has any further violent vomiting episodes then you would want to follow up with his vet to make sure there is nothing worrisome afoot. The vets will be able to have a feel of Redd to make sure he has no sinister lumps or bumps or anything that shouldn't be there. As well, the vet will be able to cover him with antibiotics against bacterial gastroenteritis and anti-vomiting medication by injection to help settle his stomach and get him back on track as quick as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Redd. How is everything going?
nekovet