Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has now been limping on one oaw days now. He keeps

Customer Question

Hi
My dog has now been limping on one oaw for 3 days now. He keeps cleaning the same paw. He doesn't like people checking him as he gets nervous and could snap as a warning sign. Therefore a visit to the vet never works unless he was sedated. I've tried to check his paw quickly and the pad appears inflamed and pinkisk. I think it looks raw he has licked it that much. He doesnt seem in pain when i touch it but the limping means he can barely walk.
Any recommendations would be great and tips for visitng the vet if any! Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is he currently on any medications?

3- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last time he was weighed he was rougly 28kg although has been neutured since. On no medication and no medical conditions. last treatment he had was a lump cut out of his back. It was a growth under the skin but not deemed as dangerous. Since he was neutured in November 2014, ive noticed his belly change colour and appear very dark. He also has developed a few calluses that have no hair on them, which the vet also said not to worry about.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it sounds like his paw is very irritated and this could be the reason why he is limping. It is important to stop him from licking or he will not let it heal and even make it worst. This is what you can try:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected paw.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to soak the paw for a few minutes 2-3 times a day. You can also just wash the paw with this soap; whatever is easier for you. Once he has the ecollar on it will be easier to touch the paw. Just have another person helping you.

3- After soaking or washing affected paw as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Buffered Aspirin 325mg every 12 hours for 1 week. You can buy buffered aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

5- If no significant improvement after doing the above for 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter