Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can my dog take a lortab that is 5/325? She is a beagle with

Customer Question

Can my dog take a lortab that is 5/325? She is a beagle with severe back issues, and she has been on Tramadol which doesn't seem to work anymore. She's also on Rymadel and muscle relaxants.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, we would not use Lortab here. Hydrocodone is not really used for pain in dogs (it is actually used in veterinary medicine as a cough suppressant). Furthermore, we do not tend to use Acetaminophen in dogs either. Therefore if she is struggling with her current medication, you need to speak to her vet about whether her current doses could be increased in dose or frequency (ie Tramadol can be given every 6-8 hours for severe cases). Otherwise, we'd need to think about stronger dog safe alternatives (ie Gabapentin, Bupenorphine, steroids, or an alternative non-steroidal anti-inflammatory instead of the Rimadyl).

Overall, Lortab would not be indicated here and furthermore is unlikely to be of much benefit consider what she is on already. Therefore, it is best not to give this and instead ring her vet about increasing her doses on her current medication +/- adding in stronger options like those I have mentioned.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Heather,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sparkles. How is everything going?
nekovet