Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My mini dachshund was t by a lawn mower 3 days ago. He has a

Customer Question

Hi my mini dachshund was hit by a lawn mower 3 days ago. He has a pelvic break in 2 places one of which is connected to the hip joint. The vet I am at doesn't do the surgery and said "he may need it but it may heal on its own" they also said "if it doesn't heal correctly" they can do a surgery to remove the ball of the hip joint. This is really concerning to me because I feel like I am not getting a good answer. My dog has had a pain shot and is on pain medication. He doesn't walk at all on his back legs and he when I carry him outside I can feel the bone moving and crunching. His eating is slow but ok and he is drinking fine. There is swelling under his belly as well as some sort of sack forming (assuming fluid)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I share your concern here about Oliver. Especially if you are feeling the bones move and shift when you handle him. This is because if they are not static and free of movement, his body is not going to be able to bridge the fractures with new bone and heal properly. So, while the sack is a concern (it is likely just a seroma but in traumatic injuries we can see breaks in the muscle wall called hernias that lead to abdominal organs getting stuck under the skin), this movement is even more concerning. And it is that that would reduce the chance that this heals properly for him.

Therefore, if you don't feel your local general practice vet is able to definitively give you an answer about how to approach the fractures present, it'd be highly advisable to either request a referral or have a second opinion with a specialist orthopedic surgeon. These vets are highly trained specialists that only work with bones and fractures. They ware the best equipped (mentally and surgically) to address this for Oliver. To find the closest specialist near you, you can check @ https://online.acvs.org/acvsssa/rflssareferral.query_page?P_VENDOR_TY=VETS

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I have the sack part checked or do you think it isn't concerning if he isn't hurting in that area?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Do you think the sack feels like fluid? Or more dense?

If you gently press on it, does the contents seem to disappear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does feel like fluid. Should that take care of itself ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

If it feels like fluid, then a seroma (which is just the body's way of filling space between traumatized layers) is most likely. And in that case, it should settle with time, but you can also warm compress to speed that reabsorption up. Just to note, in case yo udo not have a compress on hand, you can make a safe warm compress by using a clean sock filled 2/3rd full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Make sure to shake it before use to allow the heat to distribute. Make sure its not too hot as we don’t want to burn her. But that can be used a few times daily to help reduce the seroma.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How is everything going?
nekovet