Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My daughters 3 yr old Daschund is in process of giving

Customer Question

My daughters 3 yr old Daschund is in process of giving birth. She had 1st pup at 4:25am this morning, 2nd pup at 8:40am. Her labor has stopped but I know there are one or two more pups. Is there a natural remedy I can do to help restart her labor.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

There is nothing over the counter to help stimulate contractions. You need to give Oxytocin to help stimulate the uterus to contract. This is done in a vet hospital. The reason, is because it makes the uterus contract pretty hard. If the puppy is breached or if the puppy is not going to make it out, then we have to go to an emergency c-section fairly quickly. If this is done outside of a vet hospital, there is risk of the puppy or mom dying as a result.

I typically tell owners that any set of contractions for more than 2 hours without a puppy or a break of 4+ hours without contractions is reason for emergency. We're well past that time frame. It sounds like she's probably going to need a c-section. They may get lucky with oxytocin, but a c-section is more likely here. This is one of those breeds where the pelvis is pretty narrow and c-sections are common.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Fortunately I took her to an emergency clinic, she was give Oxytocin and she delivered the last pup alive and well.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Good, I'm glad things went well. Thanks for the update.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ann,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kenai. How is everything going?