Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My mini daschund has bumps all over body I gave zyrtec but

Customer Question

my mini daschund has bumps all over body
I gave zyrtec but this has not seem to helped
she does not itch the bumps excessively but I am concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. Can you upload a photo of Sofi to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. A macro lens is best for close up photos.

I believe that you're describing an urticarial reaction - hives and wheals. These arise secondary to a hypersensitivity reaction to vaccinations, drugs, foods, envenomations, environmental allergens, variations in temperature and humidity, and even stress. In most cases my patient remisses unaided within 36 hours. An antihistamine such as Zyrtec may be helpful but if not, Sofi's vet can administer a fast acting antihistaminic corticosteroid such as prednisolone which is usually very effective in stopping the hypersensitivity reaction. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sofi's had this condition for 5-6 weeks , I seems to come and go , however it started on her belly which is mostly bare and I would guess is very sensitive and susceptible to reactions, however her belly is mostly ok but as I mentioned in previous post she is now having some type of reaction on her body parts covered in fur. Places seems to get activated and then go away. She does not obsessively lick/preen area, and my initial assumption was allergic reaction to something, but the spreading and the under the fur has me alarmed. Also in places where she has gotten these hives/bump she has lost some of her fur.
She is feed high quality pet food and she also gets a portion of chicken mixed into kibble and wet mixture.

Thank you for the additional information. The chronicity of Sofi's skin reaction is more consistent with a superficial spreading pyoderma (bacterial skin infection) than a hypersensitivity reaction such as hives/wheals. I wouldn't expect hair loss above hives and wheals but I would secondary to infection - usually by Staphylococcus.Has Sofi's vet had a look at Sofi's skin? Has any testing been performed - skin scrapings, a cytology (microscopic examination of a small sample of her skin surface for excessive numbers of bacteria or yeast), or fungal culture?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another piece of info. we have two mini dachshunds - considering that the skin condition is bacterial/viral/fungal- wouldn't you think that the other doxy would have caught this skin condition by now as well or not necessarily? They two doxys are very close and have a lot of contact with each other, would it be odd for the other to not have caught this malady?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS I have a vet appointment at 11 today, thank you for the info it will help us get the most out of our visit and hopefully we can clear up sofi's condition. She is an absolute prize winner.

No, bacterial skin infection - isn't contagious from dog to dog. (The ringworm fungus is contagious from dog to dog and to you.) The Staph we usually find is a normal inhabitant of a dog's skin and only overgrows if the skin is compromised - usually by allergy but also by endocrine diseases such as hypothyroidism or Cushing's. in any event, we don't know if infection is present unless skin testing as I mentioned is performed. I'm pleased to hear that Sofi will be attended to today. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.