Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has eaten chicken wings he's old and recently had a

Customer Question

My dog has eaten chicken wings he's old and recently had a stroke so I don't know if it's best just to take him to a vets?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long since he ate the wings?

2- Is he showing any symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's eaten them in the last few hours and he hasn't had any symptoms so far.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, as you may already know the ingestion of chicken bones can cause an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bones without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change his diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bones out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there nothing I can do for the time being except change his diet? After 3-5 days if everything is okay does that mean he's fine?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Other than changing his diet there is nothing else that you can do.

Yes, that is correct if you see no symptoms after 3-5 days then very likely he will be fine.