Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We are on holidays Interstate in Qld and our 9 year old

Customer Question

We are on holidays Interstate in Qld and our 9 year old Maltese X last night became fidgety and cant seem to settle while sleeping. He keeps moving and changing positions all the time during sleep. I cant find anything visibly wrong.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning! I'm Dr. Sara. Sorry to hear that Zac is acting funny today.

It could be that he's anxious or otherwise behaviorally odd because of the travel. Some dogs hate car rides. Some get car sick - sometimes out of the blue without ever having been car sick before. Also, some get diarrhea from stress, and it could be that he's feeling the tummy rumble and cramping. Sometimes they'll also act this way if something is hurting them, like their back.

Check his respiratory rate when he is sleeping - if it's above 40 breaths per minute this could indicate serious cardiac or respiratory disease and I'd try to get him to your nearest vet. Also check his gum color - it should be nice bubble gum pink.

~Dr. Sara