How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11114
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Dog ate part of a macadamia chocolate chip cookie, what

Customer Question

My Dog ate part of a macadamia nut white chocolate chip cookie, what do I look for he is 5lbs
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Luckily white chocolate chips are very low in theobromide which is what makes chocolate toxic and the amount of macadamia nuts that are needed to cause toxicity is 10 grams per pound of body weight so for Loki this would be 50 grams or 1.8 ounces which is quite a bit for a little boy his size.

Clinical signs to monitor for with macadamia nut ingestion include lethargy, vomiting, and hyperthermia are initial symptoms with progression to ataxia or hind-limb paresis. Also seen are tremors, abdominal pain, lameness, joint stiffness, and pale mucous membranes

If you want to be absolutely safe and your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1/2 teaspoon, making sure you administered this dose listed in your question) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

But I think inducing vomiting will not be necessary or if he doesn't vomit there will e cause for concern if a small amount was ingested in this scenario. I still would advise monitoring for the signs above for 4-8 hours and if any seen seeking a veterinary er as a precaution but I suspect you will not have any issues at this point

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight...I am on-line another 15 minutes to assist you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Loki feeling? I would love an update!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Loki. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman