Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Rabies symptoms

Customer Question

Rabies symptoms
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there I'm Dr. Sara

Rabies isn't uncommon in certain areas of the country. I live in an area where it is quite common among wildlife, but still very rare in companion animals. This is because the rabies vaccine is quite effective. If your pet is up to date on the vaccine and has had no known wildlife exposure, rabies would be very low on my list. Signs in dogs include weakness, dull mentation, lethargy progressing to coma, excessive salivation, difficulty walking, seizures, and abnormal aggressive behavior. One study from the Journal of the American Veterinary Association notes that the median time from the onset of clinical signs to the death of the animal in dogs and cats was only about 3 days, so the disease progresses very quickly.

Not having eaten in three days is very worrisome, and if she's painful around her mouth I could consider a sore tooth, but they still usually eat even when they have pain in their mouths. There's probably something else going on.

Unfortunately, anorexia (not eating) is a very vague sign and not specifically indicative of any one disease. Three days is a very long time - I would have her examined by your vet as soon as you're able.

Please let me know if I've answered all of your questions - if not, please reply with them. Thanks!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Doc Sara