Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a Chihuahua that has blood in her stools,her stools

Customer Question

I have a Chihuahua that has blood in her stools,her stools are loose she is alert but is tired?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry your little one is not feeling well. Yes, the stress of camping and a new diet can cause these symptoms and when this is the case in little dogs they can decline rapidly so I will give you some guidelines to monitor for her tonight.

The primary concern is what is called Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis or HGE, CLICK HERE for more information on this condition which can cause a fast decline in a little dog as yours. One of my Chi's previously had this and was in shock within 12 hours of beginning to have blood in the stools. I don't mean to frighten you but I also want you to be aware of the concerns of this condition in the tiniest of dogs that simply don't have the reserves of a large breed dog like a Labrador

Tonight:

- White rice and boiled chicken which is bland yet bulking to help firm up the stool and calm down the colonic spasms resulting in the bleeding. Small more frequent meals if possible
- Pepcid (famotidine) 1/8 tablet of 10 mg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach
- Add water to her meals to ensure she is not getting dehydrated

Recommend veterinary er

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is increasing in blood and mucus and reducing in brown stool
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information makes sense and she is not showing any of the above signs. Regardless she should be seen by your veterinarian tomorrow, bringing a fresh or refrigerated sample of the stools for them to review is also advised. I hope she is feeling better soon, truly

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good morning how is your little one doing today? I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!