DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog woke up this morning with an extremely red eye and

Customer Question

My dog woke up this morning with an extremely red eye and has been squinting the eye. We have rinsed it out with tepid water and bathed him and rinsed it out again. We are thinking of using nfz puffer but something about pouring powder into my friends eye doesn't feel right. Is it safe to use this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. No...it is NOT safe to use that powder in the eye. Do not apply anything else to the eye. It is good that you rinsed it once but beyond that you do not want to do anything more until you hAve the dog examined by a vet. Your dog likely has either conjunctivitis or a corneal ulcer. These require appropriate medical treatment with eye medication. There is nothing you can use at home. Try to keep your dog from rubbing the eye. And get him in to see a vet soon. I hope this helps. Best of luck.