Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog ate a gh blood pressure pill called clonidine 0.2mg

Customer Question

My dog ate a high blood pressure pill called clonidine 0.2mg should I be worried.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me how much your dog weight, how long ago it was ingested, and whether she has any health issues that should be noted?

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

This medication is used in dogs and according to the veterinary handbook:

The dose of this medication is 0.01 – 0.05 mg/kg

So for example if your dog weighs 22 pounds (10 kg) this dose would be 0.1-0.5 mg

Reported adverse effects most likely to occur include: vomiting, transient hyperglycemia, dry mouth, constipation, sedation, aggressive behavior, hypotension, collapse, and bradycardia (responsive to atropine). Tolerance to its therapeutic effects has been reported in humans.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If your dog weighs less than 22 pounds, has any medical issues and if your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

This would be precautionary to remove any risk of side effects from this ingestion but if you have a healthy dog who is more than 22 pounds you may note lethargy, sedation, vomiting, diarrhea but it will not be a toxic dose for a dog his size

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ray Milda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Garvina. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman