Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have five (5) 8 day old miniature schnauzers. Mother is

Customer Question

I have five (5) 8 day old miniature schnauzers. Mother is two years old, first whelp for this bitch. Mom really doesn't understand the cleaning part for peeing and pooping. Is great at taking care of them otherwise, nesting them, feeding them, loving on them. I have been stimulating the pups since day 2. 3 of the 4 have not had a bowel movement in the last 36 hours. I have tried warm mineral oil administered into the rectum with a very small critter nipple. No problem inserting and administering, but puppies only give gas and the mineral oil back. All are still nursing very well. Pups have all more than doubled in weight by week one. Are there any other laxative recommendation until I can get to my vet tomorrow morning? Two of the pups are crying when I try to stimulate their rectal area. All five are peeing just great. Stimulating every 2 - 3 hours.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that you're having this problem with your pups but glad that mom is otherwise taking care of them.

Constipation issues are fairly commonly seen ones in neonatal pups but it wouldn't be a wise move to give them any oral laxative products.

What I typically suggest for my owners (and what I've done myself when faced with this problem) is to use a warm water enema rather than mineral oil.

Warm water enemas can be a very effective method for loosening the firmer/harder stool in the colon. I would recommend that you use a small syringe (about 3ml's) or possibly an eye dropper or something similar. Lubricate the end of it with K/Y or Vaseline or even cooking oil or your mineral oil. Gently insert it about 1/4-1 inch (depending on the size of the pups) into the rectum and squirt the warm water into them. It may take several applications if they are badly constipated.

This is a very effective and yet safe method of helping with this problem.

I hope this helps and that you see results soon. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your puppies. How are they doing? Deb