Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 6 year old Great Dane/ mastiff mix who was

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old Great Dane/ mastiff mix who was diagnosed with diabetes in February. We are still working at regulating his insulin. We go Tuesday for another recheck. About two hours after giving him his insulin injection today he started vomiting. First is was like 4 times with just flem. Now about 45 min since the last time it looks liked chewed chunks of cereal. What should we be doing
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Dozer is not feeling well today

I can give you some basic guidelines but if he is not improving and the vomiting is not subsiding I would advise a veterinary er to ensure that he is not having any complications of the diabetes that requires being addressed

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode. With him continuing to vomit I would also withhold water for 4 hours to allow the stomach to rest and hopefully prevent further episodes. Begin Karo syrup on your fingertip along his gumline every 2 hours to ensure his sugar levels do not drop with the vomiting. He doesn't need to swallow but just absorbs directly through the gumline

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Dozer comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

I also would not give tonight's insulin unless he has had a few smaller meals without vomiting as a precaution. We always would prefer to have a glucose too high versus too low in this situation...

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I hope he is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Dozer doing? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ann Rizza,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dozer. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman