Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have a Dachshund. She is 15 yrs old.she has an open Dore

Customer Question

We have a Dachshund. She is 15 yrs old.she has an open Dore under her right eye. It is not painful. It comes and goes....it will clear up and then come back...we have not taken her in to see anyone. Is there something I can do from home to help it? Was thinking rinsing with warm water and then putting antibiotic ointment on it...but would have to do a cone on her so she wouldn't touch with her paw.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My email is***@******.***
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bella. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

You are describing a classic thing seen in dogs: an infected "carnassial" tooth. The roots of this tooth go up into the face and end just below the eye.

Here is an article about it:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2089&aid=382

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Applying warm compresses, giving antibiotics, cleaning the area all will help, but it will keep coming back until the infected tooth either falls out or is extracted or has a root canal. The infection is trapped by the tooth root, so antibiotics usually only help for a short time.

I treat these with a course of antibiotics, and if it does not come back, great! But it usually does. Then there is no option except to extract or treat the tooth.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Can I help with or answer anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated); you can still get back to me with more questions and updates after rating.

Hope he is doing better soon. Rebecca