Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 13 year old papillon that was diagnosed with

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old papillon that was diagnosed with conjested heart failure and fluid in the lungs back in May. He got bad a few days after we started him on just lasic and cough surpressent to start with Then I had to take him to Purdue emergency clinic because of his breathing and coughing issues on a Saturday night. He got worse there before we decided to start antibiotics since he had some weirdness in one of his lungs They couldn't figure out what was going on the one lung was real cloudy They even thought it could have been a clot pass through Once we got him on antibiotics it started getting better in a matter of hours When he came home they had put him on vetimin, 2 antibiotics and he seemed to improve a lot He has been back to our regular vet a few times since then ex rays,etc and because of the coughing issues he has when he drinks water This weekend he's coughing a lot again and seems to be panting all the time I am going to call my vet to make an appointment for tomorrow All of this panting and coughing is really starting to worry me The other question is why would they have chosen vetmedin over enalipril He doesn't seem to be progressing as well As I would have thought on the vetmedin (the wonder drug) my last dog was a Yorkie that had been on enalipril and lasic for 7 years before she died Any suggestions on next plan of attack
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

I would actually have your dog on a combination of Lasix, Enalapril and Vetmedin. This is my typical approach for congestive heart failure dogs. The three meds work synergistic with each other to give the best chance of getting the condition controlled and giving a good long term survival.

If the coughing is part due to some tracheal collapse, then a cough suppressant may help. If it's heart related, then we prefer to use more Lasix to control the cough. I would try giving an extra dose of Lasix first and see if that helps. If it's not helping, then you could try an over the counter cough suppressant. Robitussin DM is safe to use in dogs. You could give 1/4 teaspoon every 8-12 hours, as needed.

If still no help, then I would get to an ER vet and shoot some x-rays to see what's going on in there.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.