Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog suddenly lost s appetite, became lethargic, shivers

Customer Question

My dog suddenly lost his appetite, became lethargic, shivers and vomited once. He is not coughing and I see no nasal discharge. I think he has a fever as he goes outside to lie on the cool concrete. What might be wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs 65 lbs, and is normally very spry and healthy. I can't think of anything bad he might have eaten. I don't have a rectal thermometer, I could run out and get one.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. Him shivering could be a sign of discomfort which can be caused by any of the above conditions. Or, he could have a fever. If you are able to pick up a digital thermometer and take his rectal temperature that would be great; the normal temperature in a dog is between 99.5-102.5 F. I would also recommend a hands on examination with family vet to run some testing like xrays and blood work to determine the exact underlying cause of his symptoms. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mark,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Beuford. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter