Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 11 year old border collie just started drooling profusely

Customer Question

my 11 year old border collie just started drooling profusely and diareahed all over out of nowhere
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Border Collie boy Robby . I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. As you can probably appreciate, there are quite a number of reasons your boy might be drooling profusely like this. The drooling in combination with the diarrhea could be cause by a simple gastroenteritis, or there could be a primary gastrointestinal issue or even a toxicity going on here. Because this has happened all of a sudden, you will need to keep a close eye on your boy for the next couple of hours if you can. We also have to consider whether the two symptoms are unrelated. He could for example have an oral or dental issue along with a gastrointestinal problem.

For now, you are best with holding his food until tomorrow morning. From then, you can start your boy on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for a few days. Because this could potentially be a toxicity, you will need to continue to keep an eye on your boy for the next couple of hours if you can, and if he becomes lethargic, won't drink or has even more diarrhea, then get him along to your local ER Vet tonight if you can.

Please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Robby? I hope things have settled for him now and that he is back to normal?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E