Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My russel keeps shaking her head. I'm sure she has

Customer Question

My jack russel keeps shaking her head. I'm sure she has something in her ear. Female about 6 yrs old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry Stevie is uncomfortable. Unfortunately if there is something truly in the ear it will require sedation to probe and remove the foreign object but hopefully we can get her comfortable tonight until you can see your vet but if there is no change with my recommendations then a veterinary er visit might be warranted

- 50/50 white vinegar and water to flush the ear out and wipe with cotton balls (no q-tips!) to remove any debris and potentially a foreign body
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours over night to hopefully relieve the itch and shaking and allow you both to rest comfortably tonight. It might cause mild sedation

If this is an inflammatory reaction or sometimes even if a foreign body this can help relieve her discomfort but often if there is a foreign body in there it is not reachable with her awake because if attempted her inner ear drum or tympanic membrane can be punctured and this should be avoided at all costs

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Stevie to see if she is more comfortable today? I would love an update!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!