Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have 2 pit bulls, who weigh approximately 70 to 80 pounds

Customer Question

Hi, I have 2 pit bulls, who weigh approximately 70 to 80 pounds and I believe one of them has eat a 1 oz block of bromethalin within the last 4 hours. I am not sure what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. This is potentially a serious situation. If there is any chance at all that this happened within the last couple of hours then you should induce vomiting in both of them without delay. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

2. While you are doing that I will type out some further information for you and be back with you in ten minutes or so.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

Bromethalin in a non-anticoagulant and that there is no antidote such as vitamin K which you can use for other rodent poisonings in the dog, there are however other measures which can be take if you get your dog to a vet quickly. This may be your best course of action.

You have quite large dogs and it was only one cube so things may not be so bad but this is a very insidious type of toxin so it always best to take every possible measure.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dogs are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Bromethalin ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Charlene,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Belle/Toby. How is everything going?