Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My golden / husky mix is vomiting undigested food and

Customer Question

My golden / husky mix is vomiting undigested food and drinking a lot of water. I suspect she swallowed a large portion of a rawhide bone several days ago. This has happened in the past 48 hours. Is there anything I can give her? She is not bloated at this time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I've locked on to your question and am working on composing an answer. There will be a delay of 5-15 minutes as I type - thanks for your patience!!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. Assuming your dog isn't on any other medications, a dose of 1mg per pound of pepcid (famotidine) can also be helpful during this time. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

Rawhides are digestible, so it's unlikely (but not impossible) for them to cause a GI obstruction. You mentioned abdominal bloating, which is definitely something you want to keep an eye on. If she is showing frequent unproductive retching, pale gum color, or beginning to have very painful of bloated abdomen, I would seek ER care immediately.

Many cases of GI upset are self-limiting and pass on their own, however keep an eye out for the things I mentioned and have her to the vet if you have any doubts :)

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

~Dr. Sara