Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have an 11yo Shih Tzu who has very dry skin and has a few

Customer Question

I have an 11yo Shih Tzu who has very dry skin and has a few lipomas --- at least two as large as a cherry. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

If these have been diagnosed as lipomas from a fine needle aspirate then monitoring them should be absolutely fine. If they are not affecting his range of motion, he is not licking nor agitating them I would simply take photos with a ruler once monthly when you do your heartworm prevention to ensure they are not growing, becoming more attached or firm and if they do change then it is time to have your veterinarian evaluate them.

If they have not been aspirated I would strongly advise this. I do have some lumps that do palpate as lipomas and once aspirated are found to be malignant slow growing tumors such as mast cell tumors that should be removed. So I aspirate any new lump on my patient to ensure there are no worries of what we are dealing with.

The dry skin can be an issue for the breed so ensuring you are feeding a high quality organic diet with no by products and supplementing with fish oil 500-750 mg EPA & DHA daily can help with the dry skin but may take 2-4 weeks to see positive results. As for the shampoo, it is great you are using a sensitive and moisturizing shampoo just make sure you leave it on 10 minutes before rinsing to ensure it is having full effects with the baths.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The review is helpful. I haven't had them aspirated. He's do for an annual this week and I'll inquire about them. I dodo give him an omega treat and use premium food that contains fish like Fromms.
Thanks for your suggestions !
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I would definitely make sure the treats are concentrated in omega fatty acids because often it is not a daily dose within the treats. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you are satisfied with my responses please rate so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank you an good luck to you both :)