Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 9 year old boxer who has had two bumps on the tip

Customer Question

Hello -- I have a 9 year old boxer who has had two white bumps on the tip of his tongue for about 6 weeks now. At first they didn't seem to be growing, but I'm convinced they're getting a little larger. Right now they are a little smaller than the size of the pencil eraser. They don't seem to bother him, as he is eating normally. We had him at the vet about a month ago for his annual exam (all of his blood work came back normal) and he had never come across these before...he advised we monitor for a month to see if it goes away or have him sedated to remove them. Just wondering if you could provide your thoughts, as I'd like to get a second opinion. I plan on taking him back into the vet next week. Any thoughts on what this could be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Because these white bumps are behaving in a benign manner it's unlikely that they represent serious neoplasia. Their color is most indicative of oral viral papillomas or calcinosis circumscripta - focal areas of dystrophic calcification that occurs at sites of repetitive or previous trauma. Papillomas are expected to regress within 3 months. Calcinosis will remain until removed. Can you upload a photo of these bumps to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing but I do understand that it might be difficult to take such a photo!