Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I'm worried about my dog, he is a put mix about 11 months

Customer Question

Hello, I'm worried about my dog, he is a put mix about 11 months old, he has a very swollen paw, and in between his toes it'd dark like you can tell he got bit. Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet today and that Buddy has this swollen paw and wound. I can give you basic guidelines but if the swelling is not subsiding, the black area is widening or progressing then please find a veterinary er in your area to treat him

1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please sock on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Just to confirm the benadryl dose at 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours so if he is 75 pounds he would get THREE adult 25 mg tablets

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry. It is great you already did the epsom salt soaks x 10 minutes and this can be continued prior to the shampoo

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the side.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. Again if it is not improving or progressing please have him seen by a veterinary er

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!