Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I think my dog (chi) has parvo, I gave m a 5 in parvo shot

I think my dog (chi) has parvo , I gave him a 5 in parvo shot last night. then the lady at the feed store that would bring it on faster. I,ve been giving him pedilight.please tell me what to next. I can,t afford a vet bill right now. please answer me back. Thank you MP
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Hobo. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It would be very unusual for a 7 year old dog to have parvo. I have not seen a case of parvo in a dog older than a year of age in at least 15 years. In fact, we usually stop vaccinating adult dogs for parvo and distemper at about 7 years of age in my practice.

What are his symptoms? Can he eat and drink? Are his gums pink in color, or pale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is only 6 months old. he hasn,t eaten and puking lathartic ive haven,t seen any blood in his stool yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive given him pedilight 5 in one shot last night.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

When did he start vomiting, and acting sick?

I agree with the feed store, do not give vaccinations to a sick dog.

This could be many things: an intestinal obstruction, a virus (there are many viruses that infect dogs beside parvo), a bacterial infection, parasites.

This is probably not parvo, but the treatment is the same: push fluids like Pedialight or broth, if he can keep that down without vomiting. No food until the vomiting stops. If the vomiting does not stop, then we normally do xrays to be sure there is not a blockage.

Are his gums pink in color?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I just see now that you requested a phone call, while I was typing my answer. I am so sorry, but I cannot do phone calls for the website. I will opt out so you can use another expert who can call you, unless you want to continue in this format.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some one will call me back right?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I can't call you, so I wlll opt out for another expert. Please do not respond back to me, or rate me, as that might prevent another expert from helping you.