Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My puppy is 14 weeks old she is squatting to frequently have

Customer Question

My puppy is 14 weeks old she is squatting to frequently have taking her to the vet they couldn't get a urine sample but gave her a antibiotics anyway problem continuedtook her back to the vet they checked her urine and no infection but put her back on a antibiotics but we are still having the same problems
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Bella today. I just have a few questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is she urinating every time she squats or are there times that nothing comes out. Is Bella showing any signs like increased thirst?

I know she is young, but I have to ask, does she happened to be spayed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she's not

Thanks for the additional information. Since your veterinarian ruled out the most common cause for her problem which is a urinary tract infection you may want to discuss further testing. With a young dog I would want to rule out an anatomical abnormality occuring either inside the bladder or with the urethra which is where the bladder ends. One way to determine this is to have an ultrasound of the bladder and the kidneys. This would be to rule out any abnormality with the bladder or a condition called ectopic ureters. This is where the tubes (ureters) that run from the kidneys and attach to the bladder, attach at the wrong location on the bladder. This can cause and increased urge to urinate or leaky urination. Another test that could confirm this is a contrast study of the bladder and kidneys. This is where a dye is injected in the either the bladder or the blood stream which highlights all the structures of the urinary system on a x-ray. This can allow for detection of any anatomical abnormalities. Your veterinarian may or may not be comfortable performing these tests. If they are not then you can ask to be referred to an internal medicine specialist who usually has the expertise to perform these tests.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this maybe just something she does and will grow out of or is there something more then likely wrong with her she's not in any pain and she seem happy and she doesn't have a problem going when she goes

She could. You definitely have time to wait and watch since she is still young. If it is truly a problem then it will worsen as she gets older. Things that you may notice is frequent urinary tract infections, or irritation around her vulva. If she is still showing these sign by six months then I would definitely considered those additional diagnostics that I mentioned.

Hi Christina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Dwight Alleyne