Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a 15 years old Golden Retriever.. he has had a cold

Customer Question

I have a 15 years old Golden Retriever.. he has had a cold and his nose has been stopped up. today I noticed he has a mass in his left nostril blocking his airway. What can I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I can give you a few hints to try to improve his comfort level at him, but this is something that if persistent to Monday really will require a visit to see his veterinarian. There are many potential causes for this level of congestion but it is usually not due to a "cold." If only one nostril is involved, then my top concern would be either this could be a nasal tumor/polyp, nasal foreign body or tooth root infection. If both nostrils are involved it still could be a tumor, but also some form of infection (viral, bacterial) is possible or even allergies with a secondary bacterial infection or even allergies. Further testing would be required to determine which of these problems.

What can you try at home? If he was my patient and you were unable to have him seen until next week, then I might recommend you try:

- You can try neosynephrine nasal spray 0.05% twice daily but do not use for longer than 5 to 7 days.

- You can try an antihistamine such as Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at 1 mg per pound every 12 hours, although I have not been impressed with it as a decongestant but will help if this is due to allergies. You canNOT use any of the over-the-counter antihistamines plus decongestants. They are not safe.

- You can use saline nasal drops as made for infants.

- A nebulizer and use of saline can be very helpful to break up the congestion.

Beyond that this may require prescription medication ,especially if the discharge is a color (white, yellow, gray, green) which needs an antibiotic. And, further testing is necessary to figure out why he has this issue.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.