Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My 14-year old Rhodesian Ridgeback mix has been acting

Customer Question

My 14-year old Rhodesian Ridgeback mix has been acting strange since last night. She keeps on getting up from a dead sleep and running across the room to lay down again. She looks restless. She's gone to the bathroom and everything looks fine... she did throw up last night, and she hasn't shown interest in her food but has her normal interest in table food. She's generally not panting, but will for a little bit then stop.
She hasn't had any change in diet or anything out of the ordinary in the past 24 hours, and she literally started acting weird around 8pm last night.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Canine health. What you have described sounds like the onset of Sundowners Syndrome in dogs. As a dog ages they start to loose cognitive function like humans. The get a problem Called Cognitive Canine Dysfunction. The first thing that should be done is a senior check up to rule out any medical issues. Once this is done Montana can be put on some medication to help if Sundowners is the problem. Dogs who have Sundowners will awaken at night and show strange behaviors from running and pacing to howling and barking. We can use aroma therapy, music and lighting to help calm the dogs. There is medication like Seligene that is used to also help. I suggest a Vet visit for the senior blood work and check up to rule out the medical and then speak with them about treatments and what conditioning can be done to help. This is some information on Sundowners Syndrome: http://www.ehow.com/about_6675976_sundowner_s-syndrome-dogs.html

If you have questions please hit reply. If I have met your concerns please rate my service 5 stars.

Joan