Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I just picked up some dog poop and it had a lot of worms

Customer Question

I just picked up some dog poop and it had a lot of worms about and inch long with antenaes.
Are you able to tell me how to treat this or do I need to take a stool sample to my vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Our typical intestinal worms you can see in the stools such as roundworms, tapeworms and hookworms do not have antennas. If the stool was sitting outside for a while, then this that you see may not be an actual parasite your dog has. However, if you picked up this stool right after it came out of her, then this is likely one of those worms.

The absolute best is to take a stool sample in to your veterinarian. There are some worms you can treat over the counter (and the most effective medication is Panacur powder as you can sometimes find in pet stores, and closely follow the directions on how to use- goes by weight; other dewormers sometimes do not work well over-the-counter), but if this is tapeworms, then it is going to require a prescription product to clear. Your vet has the best dewormers to clear this, depending on what is found.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.