Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 9 week old pup has a respiration rate of 90. Her stomach

Customer Question

My 9 week old pup has a respiration rate of 90. Her stomach is bloated she can't lay down. She is getting fatigued. We gave her a worming chew this morning. We can't get to a vet. It's 1000km away
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize no expert has jumped in to answer your question, but this is a very difficult question.

This sounds concerning, and in one so young this may be a medical emergency, which means it's well worth the drive to have her seen today. Sometimes worming tablets, depending on the active ingredient can actually cause problems instead of help, especially if the dose given was too high. So, her symptoms could be related to that. Or, this could be due to something else. Some puppies with severe intestinal worms can become so dehydrated and anemic from them that they can reach a critical, life-threatening point.

If she is still very fatigued, lethargic or worse than when you wrote this in, then I must recommend have her seen on emergency. There is no simple over-the-counter, nonprescription solution to this. All you can do at home is encourage her to eat/drink as normal and keep her warm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was all ready bloated and sick before we gave her the tablets. It's a two day drive to get to a vet. The roads are not sealed. If I could have driven I would have.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Oh, my. The dewormer, then, was a good thought. As far as "effective" dewormers that are also safe, the best is Panacur (fenbendazole) using one designed for dogs, not horses; usually given as a series of once daily for 3 to 5 days. Or, pyrantel, and very carefully following the dose for a puppy (this is a drug you give once). The one called piperazine does NOT work and can lead to profound abdominal pain.

I am quite concerned, but as I mentioned above this is going to be tough to treat at home. The most important thing is that you need to keep her eating as best you can. If she is not eating, then tempt her with something like people baby food (pureed chicken, "first foods"). Offer her an electrolyte solution for infants; the unflavored is best.

I wish I could guess on why she is bloated, but this really would require an examination and some testing to narrow down the exact problem. Certainly severe intestinal worms could be a problem which does lead to abdominal distention, and as I mentioned above these can sometimes be so severe as to lead to profound medical problems. Alternatively, she could have another issue like ingestion of an unusual item that is not passing through or a congenital problem (organ failure -- liver, kidney, heart) which is rare but possible.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie May. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey