Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 9 week old pup. Who has a very gh respiration and

Customer Question

I have a 9 week old pup. Who has a very high respiration and heart rate. She has a very bloated stomach. She can't lay down. Pale gums. We gave her a worming chew this morning when we noticed her stomach bloated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in a remote Australia and we don't have access to a vet. The closest one is 1000km away
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear about Maggie May. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The pale gums are very worrying. She could be bleeding internally ( any chance of her getting into rat or mouse poison?), she could have a very heavy burden of internal parasites, or she could have a disease carried by ticks or fleas.

The bloated stomach could be fluid, or blood. Could she have been injured or fallen?

The high heart rate and respiration are probably a response to being anemic, not enough red blood cells to carry oxygen to her body.

What do you do with emergencies where you are? If she were mine, I would be checking to see how low her red count is and giving a transfusion if it is below 12%. I would start vitamin K1 in case of rat poison. I would check for parasites, and start doxycycline in case of tick or flea borne disease.

It is heartbreaking to hear of a sick puppy so far from the help she probably needs to survive. The pale gums, to me, are a sign she is probably not going to make it without medical help. If this were happening to my own puppy, I would not be able to help her at home; I would have to get her to my clinic.