Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 11 week old lab has been throwing up since around 5

Customer Question

My 11 week old lab has been throwing up since around 5 yesterday afternoon. It started with yellow liquidy vomit about 5 times in an hour. We fed her normally and she ate voraciously. She then went on short walk and played normally for a little over an hour. She then threw up ALOT. She definitely threw up all her food and then liquid. She settled down for a bit and threw up a little twice more. No vomiting between 930 and 1. Got up and drank a little water (I made her stop drinking). She then threw up again. The only thing we can think of is that she was messing with a caterpillar. I don't think she ate it but definitely didn't eat the whole thing. Should I take her to emergency vet or wait until my vet opens at 9?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not trying to be rude, but is anyone there? My estimated wait time keeps saying 8 minutes, but it's been 20 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if I'm doing this right, is anyone there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before.Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read aboutyour situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Do you know the species of caterpillar she was in contact with?

Can she keep any water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (notw hite/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything else she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, humanmeds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Her gums seem pink and don't feel sticky but kind of dry and it doesn't seem to bother her when I press on her belly. I am not sure what the caterpillar looked like because she wasn't her, but at my mother in laws house when it happened. She did just eat half a cup of her normal dog food (instead of full cup we normally feed her). She pooped and it was not diarrhea. It is possible she has eaten something that is irritating her. She is constantly sniffing around and finds every little thing that the vacuum doesn't. I am just waiting to see if she keeps food down. So far she hasn't kept anything down since yesterday afternoon, though.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

We commonly see young dogs get into all sorts since they are not particularly discerning with what they eat. Therefore, dietary indiscretions are commonplace. That said, we can also see them be at risk of picking up bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites, and even ingest harmful agents. And I would note that some caterpillars can actually trigger GI upset as part of their "defense" against predators. So, that could be the root cause if she has had one.

Now if her gums are dry and she is still vomiting at this stage, we do need to tread with care with Lucy. This is because this is an early stage warning sign of that dehydration is creeping in. Other signs to check for just now in regards ***** ***** for dehydration include checking whether her eyes look sunken, or whether her skin "tents" when you lift it (instead of snapping right back down). To see how to check these, I would just note that you can watch a good short video @ http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html . If you do see any of these other signs, then we'd want to have her seen urgently. Especially since vomiting dogs cannot be syringe fed fluids, else will vomit more.

Further to this, if she isn't dehydrated already and can at least keep water down, there is some supportive care you can try just now. Of course, if she cannot keep anything down at any stage, then that is usually a sign that we need her vet to treat her with injectable anti-vomiting treatment. Otherwise, there are some OTC antacids that we can use to settle our dogs' stomachs. For example, you can use:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)

*Zantac (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

Which ever you choose, it should be given 20 minutes before food and every 12 hours. Of course, if she has a known health issue or is on other medications, then we'd want to check with her vet first.

Once that is on board, I would advise swapping her to a light diet option for the next few days. When you start, do just give a small volume (a spoonful). Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her tummy stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the GI upset is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for her signs. If there is any chance she ate any of the caterpillar, this may be our culprit. So, as long as she doesn't have those signs I asked about and can keep water and that recent feeding down, we can try the above while monitoring her hydration. If you do so, but she isn't settling or we still see vomiting, then we'd need to consider having a check with the local vet. They will be able to assess her hydration, make sure there are no sinister lumps or bumps or things that shouldn't be in her stomach. Depending on the exam findings, your vet can treat her with an injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to address this for her, settle her signs and get her back to feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate toask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )