Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I need advice

Customer Question

I need advice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am Rebecca, a veterinarian. What is wrong with Nala? What kind of advice do you need?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nala has recently had a pup and is experiencing eclampsia problems. I removed her 1 pup after getting treatment from the vet and after 2 days the pup has lost 2 oz in weight. I gave the pup back to nala last night . today nala has diarrhea and is refusing food and water now. Pup is constipated and struggling with eating.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about Nala and her pup. Is the puppy nursing at all? How old is the puppy?

It would be unusual for a nursing puppy to be constipated. Is it straining and trying to pass stool? That can also be a sign of colitis/inflamed colon.

If Nala is not eating, I would be worried about her. If she were mine, I would be checking her temperature (normal is between 101 and 102; if she is 104 or more she may have an infection or the eclampsia may have returned) and checking to see if her gums are pink in color, not pale.

If she continues not to eat, she may become dehydrated and need fluids. If the puppy is not nursing, she too may become dehydrated.